The Importance of Women’s History Month

Visual from advocap for Women’s History Month

As March rolls around, so does Women’s History Month. Women’s History Month is a celebration of the contributions that women have made to history around the world. 

This month serves as a reminder of all the struggles, triumphs, and the continuous journey to gender equality for all women. During this celebration, we pay tribute to the countless women who have challenged norms and shattered barriers across politics, arts, science, and many other fields. 

HHS history teacher, Kym Grillot said: “There are many studies that women have made great contributions to such as politics, sciences, and education. There is a very wide definition of women’s history.”

Some big leaders in history who were women include Susan B. Anthony, who was a suffrage activist, and Marie Curie whose discoveries changed the understanding of the world. 

Women continue to accomplish great things today. In recent years, names like Greta Thunberg, Kamala Harris, Malala Yousafzai, and so many more women have been making great impacts on the world.

Freshman Brett Sower explained: “I think Oprah has contributed a lot in recent times. I believe she has her own charity foundation.”  

Throughout the month, celebrations around the world have been going on. International Women’s Day on March 8 is marked by marches, talks, concerts, museums, and social media posts. Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati both have these types of events going on during the month of March to celebrate. 

“Women’s History Month is so important to celebrate because women have done so much for this country and history.” Sower continued.

Since March of 1987, people all over the world have been celebrating the accomplishments of women. Join in with the recognition of women around the world who have and continue to make a difference!The