Class 5A District Player of the Year: Brody Benke

will
Coach Bob Sphire, Senior Luke Schnider, Senior Nate Welch (20), Senior Brody Benke (8), and Senior Carson Shelton (97) standing together before the first playoff game against South Oldham.

Friday nights are lit up by high school football games. Senior Brody Benke thrives in it. When Benke plays, the whole field is electrified by his talent. This is why he was selected for the Class 5A District Player of the Year. 

On October 31, 2023, Brody Benke, Highlands Quarterback, won the class 5A District player of the year award due to his amazing talent on and off the field. All of his throws were on target this season, which inevitably let Highlands become one of the best teams in the state.

Tensions were high pending the announcement of the award at hand, but Brody Benke remained calm and settled his nerves.

From practices every day after school, to walkthroughs right before games to make sure everything is set, Benke continues to be electric on the field, throwing 1,442 yards and 21 touchdowns. 

Though he has a highly talented arm, he is also gifted with his legs. He ran for 869 yards and 17 touchdowns. Benke caught 13 passes for 183 yards and 5 touchdowns.

While Benke guides his high-powered team, his family watches him succeed tremendously. Freshmen Cooper and Griffin Benke said: “Brody is our biggest inspiration when it comes to football. He is a great example of how to be a great football player and a person in general.”

Even his teammates look up to him. Senior Cameron Giesler said: “He is one of the best teammates I’ve ever had.” 

All of his coaches are very proud of how he acts on and off the field. Coach Hayden Sphire says, “He demonstrates what a football player should be, by showing up every day and working while also maintaining a positive and humble attitude.” 

Brody Benke is currently leading the Highlands Bluebirds throughout the playoff bracket. On November 3rd, Benke led the Bluebirds to a victory with a score of 43-0. This isn’t uncommon for the Bluebirds, averaging 49.1 points per game.

Freshman Tayden Lorenzen said: “Brody Benke is an amazing player. He leads all of us to win every week.”

Many people around the school believe in Benke and everything he does, especially his friends and classmates.

Senior William Todd said: “He may be quiet at school, but when he touches the field, he comes alive.” 

This entire year, Benke has exceeded the expectations that had been predicted for him.

View Comments (1)

• A

Amy LeighApr 11, 2024 at 12:39 pm

Well done! You’ve brought honor to a kind, hard-working young man.

Reply