Let’s get fired up: Cheerleaders get ready for their first competition

The competition team practicing

Highlands Cheerleaders have their first cheer competition of the 2023-2024 season at Boone County High School on October 21, 2023. 

Although the cheerleaders have been cheering at football games they are starting up for their competition season. This year the Highlands Cheer Team is a large game-day team. 

The cheerleaders will be competing in the NKCCA Competition.  Sophomore Rachel Beckmeyer said: “We work hard and it takes time but we also have fun.”  Talking to some of the girls on the team they stated that they agree practices are long.

The cheer team has all the elements for the routine the girls are just working on making adjustments for the competition. They have been preparing for this competition for around 3 weeks. 

Senior Audrey Thomas said, “I am excited for the routine, with some practice it’ll come together.” 

Learning a cheer routine can have some challenges that also come with practicing that performs during practices Senior Brooke David said, “We have challenges when it comes to preparing like last minute changes that we have to make”. 

Overall the cheerleaders for Highlands High School, are excited to kick off their Cheer competition season and can’t wait to see where this season takes them.