A cold win for the birds in a big game

Highlands Bluebirds Girls Soccer played St. Henry on October 9, 2023, and won 5-0.

This was the first game of the regional tournament. Highlands scored in the first period by senior Claire Cavacini and provided an early 1-0 lead.

Highlands looked very controlling, not letting St. Henry even cross midfield, and with Highlands in control of the reins, senior Laney Smith found an opening and got the second goal of the game advancing the score to 2-0 in the first.

During half-time, the coach talked about how well they were controlling the ball and overall playing better than the opposing team.

In the second half, the Birds kept the momentum and scored another goal by sophomore Franny Smith making the score 3-0.

Claire Cavacini was passed the ball to by sophomore Reese Wilkens in the backfield and scored another one during the 17th minute of the second half to take the score to a dominant 4-0.

Not too long after Cavacini’s goal, she found Junior Kate Fausz for the final score of the game in the 15th minute making the final 5-0, in Highlands favor.

With the recent victory, the Birds move on to the semi-finals and play a long-time rival, the Notre Dame Pandas at Notre Dame on Wednesday, October 11th at 7:30.