Launching Into the Archery Season; An Overview Of The Season

Last+years+Archery+team+lined+up+with+their+targets.+
Staff
Last year’s Archery team lined up with their targets.

The Archery season has just begun at Highlands High School. The Highlands archery team began in 2019. Archery starts early in the school year around late October. Even though Archery starts in the fall, it is considered a winter sport.

One of the most important factors for team sports besides talent is the bond a team shares. This year our archery team is learning to work together with new and old athletes both participating and competing.

This year, the HHS Archery team consists of all grades. For Archery, there is no JV (junior varsity) or freshman team, only varsity. They have had a steady season this year, as they have had many strong practices led by archery coach Matt Stuart.

Senior John Doughtery said: “The archery season is looking promising this year. I’ve been able to see improvements across new and old shooters, and I’m hopeful to see if we can break our best from last year. I’m looking forward to making it to NASP state this year, and hopefully qualify as an individual to make it to state finals.”

The points one gains when shooting in Archery is out of 300. If it’s a short distance, usually around 18 meters or 20 yards, it consists of a maximum of 10 points per arrow shot, with 30 arrows per round.

Senior Martha Kelly Bone said this season has been an improvement since last season. 

“So far this school year, we have already gotten very close to our highest team score. This last tournament that we went to our team placed second only behind the first team by one point. I’m confident that the season will be great.”

Bone is looking forward to her last season as a senior. 

“I’m excited to see how many top-place finishes the team can get this school year and I’m looking forward to having a great last season.

The season is looking good for the team this year. With all the hard work they have put in throughout the years and during practices as returners and even new students is promising. The team is looking forward to showcasing their talent during their later competitions and field events.