Caitlin Clark Takes On the WBNA

AP News
Caitlin Clark poses for Media Day Photos at The University of Iowa

After graduating from Dowling Catholic High School in 2020, Caitlin Clark committed to The University of Iowa, where she began her collegiate career in Basketball. 

On February 15, 2024 Caitlin Clark broke Pete Mavarich’s NCAA Division I scoring record. She also took the title of lead NCAA women’s scorer, after exceeding Kelsey Plum’s record that was previously set in 2017. 

She leaves Iowa with 3,951 points total, along with four NCAA tournaments. She led her team to the final rounds of March Madness where they left with a loss against the South Carolina Gamecocks. 

This year she finally decided to declare for the WNBA Draft where she was the No. 1 pick. Indiana Fever chose Caitlin Clark on Monday, April 15. 

Despite an excess amount of hate from fans of other teams this season, Clark persevered and will continue to even in her WNBA career.

Caitlin Clark has proved time and time again that she is worthy of praise, not only because of her basketball abilities but also because of her capability to bring so much attention to a sport that has rarely gotten recognition before.

South Carolina’s coach Dawn Staley, recognized Caitlin Clark in her victory speech shortly after the game. 

Staley states: I want to personally thank Caitlin Clark for lifting up our sport, she carried a heavy load for our sport. And it’s just not going to stop on a collegiate tour but when she’s the No. 1 pick in the WNBA draft. She’s going to lift that league up as well. So Caitlin Clark, if you’re out there, you are one of the GOATs of our game. We appreciate you.” 

There’s no doubt that Clark will be remembered in the history of Women’s basketball. She is an inspiration to young players across the country, and she will make her stamp on the WNBA this coming season.