Highlands Softball Season Starts

Jenna Richey
Freshman Morgan Pompili is up to swing at home (photo taken 5/24/23) now a sophomore.

As spring starts, so does the softball season. It’s always exciting to watch the Highlands softball team perform each year. 

So far, the softball team has played 3 games and has been off to a great start. They have an amazing record of 3-0. 

Senior Michelle Barth said: “To prepare for the season, we begin optional practice in August, and then once February hits, we start really getting ready for games with intense practice” 

The softball team has been preparing for a long time, starting optional practices in August. But once February hit, they started practicing more frequently for games and getting ready to play.

Junior Kara Wartman said:“A lot of off-season hitting and fielding as well as some team-building” 

Preparing for a sports season can be an all-year thing and very difficult. Getting practice with hitting, getting on the field, and building team connections is very important when it comes to a sport where you have to work together, 

They started their season off by playing Oldham County and took it home with a win for the first game with a score of 10-0. 

A lot of new girls on the team this year are 8th graders playing their first season on the varsity team. Up to seniors who are playing their last season. 

Barth said: “I’m super excited to play my senior year with my best friends. Hopefully, we can win the region for a third year” 

So far the softball is looking great this season. Can’t wait to see what the softball team does this year.