Chaos Comes to the Jungle

NFL
Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow after getting a first down against the San Francisco 49ers.

Just weeks after the end of the 2023 NFL season, the Bengals have already begun to change their team. They returned and signed multiple new players. Tanner Hudson, Zack Moss, Geno Stone, and Mike Gesicki are among many of the athletes who will be joining Cincinnati for the 2024-2025 season. With returning most of their defensive players, the Bengals are looking to rebuild from last year and find their way back to Super Bowl LIX. 

The Bengals have been making moves this off-season, however, it may be spiraling in the wrong direction. The biggest loss of the off-season was the trade of running back Joe Mixon to the Texans. Mixon was an essential part of the Bengals backfield and will be missed after 7 seasons with the Bengals. New player Zack Moss and returning running back Chase Brown will be the new duo behind quarterback Joe Burrow. Cincinnati may also lose one of their main receivers due to wide receiver Tee Higgins’ trade request. Higgins was the secondary target for Burrow, however, the program has not been able to communicate a fair exchange with him. 

After the unfortunate ending of last season, Cincinnati has the most work to do in their secondary and offensive line. The Bengals filled part of that missing piece by bringing back safety Vonn Bell and signing lineman Trent Brown from the Patriots. With the addition of Brown, the Bengals should be able to further protect Burrow, preventing him from re-injuring his wrist or getting hurt in other aspects. 

One other factor that could impact the future of the Bengals program is the rumors of the potential trade for Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Justin Jefferson. Jefferson played alongside Burrow and Chase on the 2019 College National Championship team at LSU. Chase and Jefferson have been dropping potential hints on social media, creating buzz surrounding the Bengals’ ability to get a player of this caliber. 

While the Bengals have put in the work to get new players, the other teams in the AFC North have also expanded and improved during this offseason. The Steelers now have a dangerous quarterback, with starter Russel Wilson and former Bears quarterback Justin Fields, along with the addition of linebacker Patrick Queen on the defensive side. The Ravens have also expanded their offense by receiving running back Derrick Henry from the Tennessee Titans. 

With all the events occurring within the program, Bengals fans are left wondering what the future of this team will look like. Can the Bengals find enough money to get Justin Jefferson or do they need to focus on keeping Tee Higgins? Will the Bengals work in the offseason show during this next season or does Cincinnati need to rethink their approach to reappearing in the final game of the year?