Runnin’ runnin’; Highlands’ Winter Track Season

Mason County Schools indoor track, where Highlands’ went February 10, 2024 for their meet.
Ethan Adhikary

Winter track and field is starting up for Highlands, a big sport in Northern Kentucky (NKY). There are many types of events in track, some of these events being short distance and some being long distance. Many students like senior Matteo Matteoli, run winter track, or indoor track.

On February 10th, 2024, the first winter track meet at Mason County Schools Athletic indoor complex. Regional schools like Bellevue and Bishop Brossart will be attending in this meet and competing with Highlandsto get first place. 

Matteoli said: “Our main priority is to just get a feel for the upcoming season.”

Highlands is one of the highest-rank high schools in NKY for track and field, placing third and higher in more than 3 meets last year. 

This program has been running for years, including the middle school track and field team as well. Runners like Charlie Alerding have been running since their middle school years and continue to improve during his first high school season as a Highlands track specialist. 

Alerding said: “I am excited to be a part of this team and for the years to come.”

This meet specializes in short distances/sprints because of the size of the track. Since it is indoor, the meeting can start earlier in the year.

Runners like Matteoli run the 100 and 200, the two main short-distance runs. There are also long-distance events like the 1600 and 3200.

Though many teams are running at the meet, there is one aspect in the way of Highlands’ reigning victorious. 

Matteoli said, “Our worst enemy is ourselves and our mindset. If we don’t have a good attitude about this first meet, we will be standing in the way of ourselves.”

One of the most important parts of track is the relationship between runners. Though the season has just started, the team has built great chemistry and strives to be great.