Coming in for a landing: Jason Kelce Retirement

Google Images
Eagles center Jason Kelce walked off the field for what could be the final time after a loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the first round of the NFL Playoffs.

Before the news broke on ESPN, 36-year-old Philadelphia Eagles Center, Jason Kelce, told his teammates that the Eagles vs Buccaneers matchup could be his last game in the NFL. 

The veteran center has played in the NFL for 13 seasons, all for the Philadelphia Eagles. Kelce was drafted by the Eagles from the Cincinnati Bearcats in 2011. He is a 6-time first-team all-pro selection and seven-time Pro Bowl player. Kelce helped win Super Bowl LII in 2017 with backup quarterback Nick Foles. 

The news of his retirement began as a rumor because Kelce felt a decision of this magnitude could not be made moments after the end of your season.

He believed there were too many emotions involved at the time. Kelce hasn’t officially announced his retirement, but the thought has been on his mind a lot. 

The UC graduate is also known for his podcast with Travis Kelce, New Heights. On their podcast, Kelce talked about the possibility of his retirement with his brother, Travis.

Kelce had to hold back tears while discussing the topic, even stopping the recording at one point. Kelce said, “I truly appreciate everyone in that room, and I’d go to war with them any day of the week. Enjoy the time you got,” when talking about his team. 

The Eagle spends his time outside of football giving back to his community and supporting his brother on his journey to the Super Bowl. Although the Eagles had an early exit this year, a major portion of the overall success of this team was thanks to their reliable center, Jason Kelce. Despite the uncertainty of this future, Kelce is hopeful for the future in Philadelphia and he will always be an inspiration for younger players in the league.