PowderPuff Football 10/27/23

On Thursday, October 27th, the junior and senior girls went head to head in PowderPuff. PowderPuff consists of HHS girl students, participating in flag football and the football players act as their coaches!

The game took place at David Cecil Memorial Stadium, the HHS field. Highlands sponsors the game and all profits go to the Sam Scott Memorial Scholarship fund. The proceeds primarily come from ticket purchases. Sam Scott was a former high school graduate who passed due to a bike accident. 

“Over the past 10 years, we have given out over $15,000 in scholarship money raised from the annual Powder Puff Football Game.” Says former sponsor and current teacher, Mrs. Grillot. 

Powder Puff has been a tradition for a long time at HHS and it is a fun, meaningful way for the entire community to give something back to their community. 

“Powderpuff is for a good cause, but it’s also a super fun way for girls to play a sport they don’t normally play. It’s also a really fun way for the boys to get in leadership roles,” says senior Laney Smith. 

The game ended 44-16, in favor of the seniors. Lindsay Stein, Kate Jamie, and Laney Smith scored touchdowns for the seniors; Kate Fausz and Emma Gillman scored for the juniors. 

“It was a fun bonding experience for our grade.” Says Smith.