Fortnite Influence: Changing Highlands

Azar Bassett (9) loading into Fortnite.
Azar Bassett (9) loading into Fortnite.

Recently in media and Highlands High School (HHS), people have started to notice how many conversations include the popular game called Fortnite. Fortnite is a popular online survival video game where you either drop into maps on your own or with a team to compete against 99 other players for a “Victory Royale.”

There has been a lot of hype surrounding the original map of Fortnite as well as the brand new season five chapter one of the game. Although many teens around the school as well on social media apps weren’t so pleased with the brand new season. 

“It sucks not gonna lie, the new items are pretty good though.” Liam Lovell (9) says about the new season of Fortnite. 

Within the game, there are many aspects that people enjoy such as building, combat, and even just playing with their friends. Fortnite is a form of entertainment to many, a way to enjoy themselves, especially after a long day at work and school. 

“My friends who play Fortnite make it enjoyable, I don’t get tired of it,” says Jace Willoughby (9). 

With Fortnite being a lot of teens at HHS main form of entertainment after school, students spend plenty of their time gaming. The lowest amount of time spent on Fortnite when asked amongst the student body was an hour, however the highest was five hours a day. Fortnite has such an impact on how teens spend their time after school and on the weekends. 

Charlie Feldbruegge (9) said, “I think most days I spend 3 hours a day on Fortnite, I play a lot.” 

There was a record-breaking amount of players and play time for Fortnite when the original season and map came back into the game with 44.7 million players and 102 million hours of gameplay. Things like old items, the OG shop, and the old map were brought back into the game. Surrounding the original season of the game, conversations around HHS often included talk about the game and the updates to come. 

“I liked the OG season because they brought back Salty Springs which was a throwback to my 5th grade year when I landed there every single time I played,” says Scarlett Smith (9) regarding her excitement when the original season came back to the game. 

Fortnite impacted and continues to impact how students spend their time outside of school. Teens spend much of their time on this specific game because of the features like fighting, building, and socializing online. Fortnite has become a very popular game around HHS and the media in general. As the game continues to evolve and gain more popularity, Fortnite will continue to captivate the time of millions of teens around the nation.