Softball Coach Milt Horner gains 100th win

The+2022-2023+softball+team+with+the+36th+District+Championship+trophy.+
Will Todd
The 2022-2023 softball team with the 36th District Championship trophy.

The Highlands softball team has just hit a monumental milestone achieving their 100th win on Monday, April 22nd at Newport High School Softball Field. This is a huge accomplishment for the Highlands girls Softball team. 

When asked about the biggest challenges leading up to the 100th win, softball coach, Milt Horner said: “The biggest challenge without questions over my five-plus years as head coach was dealing with the lockdowns in 2020.” The worst thing I’ve had to ever do as a coach was inform the team on March 20 of that year that the season was being shut down the day before our first game causing five seniors to never be able to play softball again.”

Horner went on to explain that since softball has started back up, the girls on the team are now going strong, and the girls on the team are very committed to getting better every day. 

The softball team has evolved over the years since Milt Horner started coaching in 2001. There have been girls who grew up loving the sport, multiple starting in middle school and finishing the senior year. 

Senior Michelle Barth said: “As a team, we’ve had to come through some things. I think we’ve grown more and more into a family along the way and having talent not only individually but all together has brought us closer together.”

The Highlands softball team’s journey to their 100th win is proof of resilience, dedication, and the power of teamwork. Despite facing challenges like the unprecedented lockdowns of 2020, coach Horner and his players remained focused on their commitment to the sport.