What is going on with the NFL free agency/off-season signings

Spectrum News
WR Keenan Allen’s first time talking at press conference for new team.

The 2024-2025 NFL offseason has been nothing short of electrifying, featuring a lot of crazy agency signings and trades that have sent shockwaves throughout the league. 

From All-stars and franchise players finding new homes to blockbuster trades that have reshaped rosters. This offseason has captured the attention of fans and analysts alike. As teams make strategic moves to better their rosters, the stage is set for an exciting and competitive 2024-2025 NFL season. 

There are a lot of trades that have defined this offseason and set the tone for what promises to be an unforgettable year of football. “I feel that the trades this season have been pretty crazy and I’m pretty excited to see how the year goes.” Said, Senior Evan Johnson.

The Houston Texans are one of many teams who are on a revolutionary run this off-season/last year’s draft. The Texans had the No. 1 and No. 3 overall pick in the 2023 NFL draft getting two players who seem to be franchise players. This offseason, however, they have made big jumps by acquiring players like veteran running back Joe Mixon. “I am really sad to see Mixon leave as a lifelong Bengals fan,” Johnson added. Joe Mixon was a star player spending seven years with the Cincinnati Bengals.

But they did not end there, they also traded for a star all-pro wide receiver Stefon Diggs from the Buffalo Bills. The Texans have created an offense that seems to be unstoppable next year. 

The Pittsburgh Steelers have also made moves this off-season by signing two quarterbacks who were starters on their previous team, Russell Wilson and Justin Fields. A lot of people were shocked by both of these trades due to the Steelers previously drafting quarterback Kenny Pickett to be their “franchise guy.” Along with Justin Fields and Russell Wilson supposedly being their former teams’ “franchise guys” as well. 

The Steelers also added to their already young talented defense former rival Baltimore Ravens linebacker Patrick Queen. Queen seems to be a huge addition to the Steelers’ defense which is causing a lot of talk around the AFC North. “I think the Steelers have made big moves this off-season but they still cannot compete with the Bengals!” Johnson added. 

One team that the entire NFL watched struggle last year for a chunk of time was the Chicago Bears. The Bears traded picks in last year’s draft for WR D.J. Moore hoping to transform their offense, but that didn’t go as planned. But that all changed this year when this off-season they traded for top WR Keenan Allen from the Chargers to add star WR Moore. 

This scary WR duo is going to cause a lot of issues this season. It doesn’t end there, the Bears also went and added top RB Deandre Swift from the Eagles. This is a veteran offense already. On top of that the Bears have the No. 1 pick and the No. 9 pick in this year’s draft. They are completely transforming their team. 

The crazy off-season does not end here. Many all-pro players and franchise players left their teams to sign with other teams. Players like top RB in the league Derrick Henry going to the Baltimore Ravens leaving the Tennesee Titans.”This might be one of the craziest trades of the season.” Johnson added. Saquan Barkley leaving the Giants to go to the Eagles. Austin Eckeler from the Chargers to the Commanders, Josh Jacobs to the Packers from the raiders, Tony Pollard from the Cowboys to the Titans, and Marquise Brown to the chiefs from the cardinals. These crazy trades have shaped fans for an exciting and unpredictable season.