Swim State 2024: Birds take the Cake

The Bluebirds achieved high ranks at swim state, breaking three school records and showcasing unity and determination. The boys’ team finished seventh, while the girls’ team placed ninth. Their combined effort led to the title of State Runner-Ups. The team’s outstanding performances and milestones left a lasting impact on the competition.

One of the most memorable moments was the Girls 400 Free Relay, in which the powerful group of Freshman Keira Kobida, Eighth grader Clare Herfel, Sophomore Ragan Moore, and Junior Sarah Jones not only won the State Runner-Up title, but also broke the previous school record by more than three seconds.

When asked how she felt after breaking a school record with her relay team, Freshman Keira Kobida said: “It feels good that we could do this really young.” 

The Boys 200 Medley Relay team of Freshman Luke Deegan, Junior Griffin Barlow, Sophomore Charlie Herfel, and Freshman Chanith Abeysinghe executed a strong effort, finishing fourth and adding to the team’s achievements. Similarly, the Boys 400 Free Relay team of Barlow, Charlie Herfel, Sophomore Noah Gracey, and Abeysinghe performed successfully, finishing fifth.

Individual achievements complemented the Bluebirds’ success story. Barlow’s strong effort in the 100 Fly earned him a deserved sixth-place finish and the distinction of creating a new school record. Jones demonstrated her endurance in the 100 backstroke, finishing seventh and securing her name in school history with another record-breaking performance.

When asked how he felt after breaking a school record with his relay team and on his own, Barlow said: “It feels fantastic. I’m honored to represent the bluebirds.”

Clare Herfel, Sophomore Addie Tinkler, Deegan, Abeysinghe, and many others were among those who made important achievements. Each of their efforts, whether in relay events or individual races, was critical to the team’s overall success.

Furthermore, the entire team’s efforts must be recognized, particularly Freshman Charlie Golden and Eighth grader Ella Kate Reynolds, whose participation in earlier relays was crucial in securing positions in the finals. 

The Bluebirds’ swim-state performances demonstrated their commitment, ability, and teamwork. They brought home several amazing wins, including State Runner-Up. 

Breaking school records and displaying their desire for excellence helped them succeed even more. Their success is a source of pride for Highlands and the Fort Thomas community, and it creates a high standard for future swimmers.