A rough start: Cincinnati Bengals start season off 0-2

Burrow+at+practice+prior+to+injuring+his+calf%2C+photo+taken+by+Dylan+Buell.+
Burrow at practice prior to injuring his calf, photo taken by Dylan Buell.

Starting the season 0-2 seems to be a new annual tradition for the Cincinnati Bengals. This is the second year in a row that the Bengals’ have started in this way. The Bengals have had problems on both sides of the ball, with offense and defense both struggling. 

The visiting Bengals played fellow AFC North team, the Cleveland Browns. The endeavor ended in humiliation for both fans and players.

The Bengals had trouble with the weather, especially quarterback Joe Burrow, who had to wear a glove in the second quarter to help him grip the ball. For the home team, they brushed the rain off like it was nothing, putting up 24 points to the Bengals, giving a final score of 24-3. 

Burrow failed to pass for over 100 yards, only throwing for 84 yards on 31 attempts. Only 14 of those were completed, leading to a career-low 45% completion rating. Eight of the 31 passes were targeted at receiver Tee Higgins, all of which were incomplete. 

In week two, the Bengals hosted the Baltimore Ravens, another AFC North team. The Bengals fared better against the Ravens than they did the Browns, but it wasn’t enough to find success.

The passing and run game were both more effective. Burrow threw two touchdowns (two more than he threw against the Browns) and he threw for 222 yards. Higgins had 89 yards on eight receptions and Mixon rushed for 59 yards on 13 carries averaging 4.5 yards per attempt. 

Burrow threw one costly interception at the goal line at the end of the half. The Ravens won 27-24 and had Burrow converted that pass into a touchdown, the Bengals likely would’ve won. 

Senior Dominic Simmins is like many fans who are frustrated with the team’s inability to play competitively. 

“I am annoyed and I wish Burrow was playing better but I think the play-calling has been bad and the defense hasn’t been very good either,” Simmins said. 

Several plays called throughout both games have seemingly been lacking in competence with the Bengals running some ill-advised plays. A key example is when the offense had it at third and short but opted to pass it deep to Higgins, which inevitably resulted in an incompletion and a fourth down. 

Burrow injured his calf in the offseason, several weeks before week one, and reaggravated it again on the Bengals’ last drive of the Ravens game. It is questionable whether he’ll play in the Monday primetime game versus the Los Angeles Rams; Bengals head coach Zach Taylor has commented little on the situation. On the positive side, Burrow was seen at practice on Thursday. 

Despite the shaky start for the Bengals, fans and players both feel confident going into the Rams game that they’ll be able to win it. The only potential variable is whether Burrow will play or not, which is to be determined as Monday inches nearer.