Highlands High School Preschool Program Plans to Start April 30

Addie Fisher
A chart depicting the HHS preschool themes for session one.

Highlands High School students who are taking the classes of family and consumer sciences, early child development, and child development have the opportunity to engage and spend time with preschool students during the month of May. 

This program is run by the FACS classes for over 30 years in order to give students the opportunity to learn how to interact with younger children and learn how to provide them with activities for their age level. 

Family consumer sciences teacher Ahren Wagner explained that the program is beneficial for the kids and students. The program develops motor skills for preschoolers and gives students an opportunity to learn how to plan activities and properly interact with preschoolers.

Wagner said: “Students will learn how to plan age-appropriate lesson plans and how to interact with young children.”

If parents would like to sign their child up for the HHS preschool program their child has to be between the ages of three to five and it is mandatory that the child is potty trained. To help with the cost of snacks and crafts, the program costs $40 per session and child.

The program starts on April 30 and continues till May 15. The days will be split into two sessions: a morning and an afternoon session. Both sessions will last around two hours. 

Students have been preparing activities and games for the preschoolers during the past month. During the program, preschoolers will have the opportunity to participate in activities like stations, crafts, and outdoor playtime.

Including activities like crafts, helps preschoolers develop their fine motor skills. Working on fine motor skills helps them develop good hand-eye coordination and concentration. To work on their gross motor skills preschoolers will also be doing outdoor activities. They have the opportunity to play games with a high school student to help develop movement skills of balance, coordination, and body movements. 

Freshman Parker Henegar, who is in Wagner’s second period,  said: “I am looking forward to picking out the activities and spending time with the kids.”

Each new day of the program the preschoolers get to experience a new theme. The games and activities planned for the day will follow the theme. Having a theme for every day is a fun way to keep the kids engaged and interested. Both morning and afternoon sessions have different themes so parents could sign them up for both sessions if they would like.

Using themes for the sessions is an easy way to make the activities age-appropriate and interesting for young kids. Some themes include Way Out West, Once Upon a Time, and Sweet Treats. 

During themed days preschoolers will participate in activities based on the theme. Some activities include making crowns and wands during crafts, reading stories based on themes, and singing songs relating to sweet treats.

As many of the students create games and crafts, they get more excited upon the preschoolers’ arrival. Freshman Ava Plunkett can not wait to spend time with the preschoolers.

Plunkett said: “I can’t wait till they come. I love spending time with younger kids.” 

The HHS preschool program is a great experience for high school students and preschoolers. The high school students will see their work paid off with the impact the program will have on them and the preschoolers. The opportunity is a fun way for both age groups to learn and grow from each other.