The Importance of Sunscreen

Flickr
The different brands of sunscreen.

Sunscreen was invented in the 1930s by a Swiss chemistry student named Franz Greiter to protect his skin from the harsh sun rays on a mountaineering trip through the Swiss Alps. The first sunscreen was made from zinc oxide and petroleum to make a paste. 

The rays from the sun that damage the skin are Ultraviolet A and B rays. UVA rays age the skin and overexposure can lead to skin cancer. UVB rays are what causes skin to burn. 

Modern sunscreen has been modified to protect skin and has active ingredients such as avobenzone, octinoxate, oxybenzone. The active ingredients in sunscreen work to absorb the UV rays from the sun and transfer the rays into heat to release the rays from their body to prevent a burn from happening on the skin.

Chemistry teacher Del Ehmann explained how beneficial sunscreen is for protecting your skin: “It is really important to wear sunscreen because it acts as a barrier between your skin and the harsh sun.” 

On the outside of sunscreen bottles the number for the sunscreen protection factor (SPF) is displayed. The higher the SPF the more protection is provided from the sun. 

When the SPF protection is lower, sunscreen will need to be applied more frequently. Sunscreen should be applied every two hours or less to prevent a burn.

A sunburn can occur when the sun’s UV rays exceed its ability to protect from its pigment. Skin naturally protects itself with a pigment called melanin. When the UV rays exceed its amount of protection, the skin can develop a sunburn.

If the skin burns, it can acquire symptoms of discoloration, low immunity to the sun, scarring, sun spots, sun poisoning, and can eventually lead to skin cancer.

Freshman Ava Plunkett went to Fort Myers, Florida over spring break and made the decision not to wear sunscreen. As a result, Plunkett developed sun poisoning:  “I was burnt so bad I could not shower or sleep. I regret not wearing sunscreen and recommend others to wear it so they do not have the same experience as me.”

Sun poisoning is a severe sunburn that can develop blisters and flu-like symptoms. Getting sun poisoning can cause severe discomfort and pain but goes away over around a week with the right treatment, but can lead to development of permanent damage such as sun poisoning and skin cancer.

Treatments that can help ease the pain of a sunburn or get rid of them consist of using an aloe vera gel to soothe the pain. The anti-inflammatory and ati-bacterial aspects of aloe vera gel help heal and soothe the pain of a burn. Other ways to help a sunburn can be by moisturizing to help with peeling and taking ibuprofen to subside the pain.

The choice to wear sunscreen and reapply regularly will help prevent sunburns, cancer, and aging aspects. Sunscreen is available to be purchased in different forms consisting of aerosol, lotion, and stick form. Sunscreen can be purchased at most grocery stores and convenience stores. Make the smart choice to protect your skin and wear sunscreen.