The National Football League’s Offseason Changes So Far

NFL
The football field used in the NFL’s Super Bowl game.

The NFL (National Football League) has been a show-stopper for years, and this year isn’t any different. With many changes to teams in the off-season, the NFL will be very different for the 2024 season. There were multiple changes during the off-season, so some of the biggest moves are going to be discussed.

Derrick Henry, running back for the Tennessee Titans, signed with the Baltimore Ravens for a 2-year, $16 million contract. Using Henry’s brute strength and speed, the Ravens offensive attack will be one of, if not the most powerful in the NFL as a whole. Behind the Ravens brick wall of an offensive line, Henry will have no problem making big plays.

Though the Cincinnati Bengals have traded Joe Mixon to the Houston Texans, they also picked up many players like Safety Geno Stone from the Ravens to giant Mike Gesicki from the New England Patriots. 

Freshman Griffin Benke said: “Even though we lost many of our big players, we also picked up amazing veterans. I’m excited to see how they perform with our team.”

Speaking of the Texans, they also signed Minnesota Vikings defensive end Danielle Hunter for a 2-year, $49 million contract with $48 million guaranteed. Hunter is arguably the best non-quarterback free agent this offseason. Despite having eight years of experience, Hunter is still just 29 years old and is coming off arguably his best season in the NFL.

Kirk Cousins, quarterback for the Vikings, got signed to the Atlanta Falcons for a 4 year deal, worth $180 million, $100 million of those guaranteed. Being a four-time pro bowler, veteran Kirk Cousins will have many options to pass to, like Kyle Pitts and Drake London. Though they aren’t Justin Jefferson, Pitts and London are reliable pass catchers when in trouble.

With all the losses the Vikings took, they have made some decent transactions. Aaron Jones, running back for the Green Bay Packers, signed a 1-year, $7 million contract. Sam Darnold, quarterback, signed a 1-year contract with 8.5 million dollars guaranteed.

In need of a show-stopping running back, the Philadelphia Eagles sign running back Saquan Barkley to a 3-year, $37.75 million contract. $26 million of that is guaranteed. The Eagles have the undoubtedly best offensive line, so Barkley shouldn’t have trouble finding holes and making big plays for this Eagles team. 

Freshman Andrew Swope said: “I want Barkley to stay with the New York Giants, but hopefully we can stay intact without him.”

Overall, NFL teams have made big changes to their rosters and depth charts. These changes create certainty for the extreme thrill level of this next season.