Kevin Listerman Awarded the Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Education

X
Photo of Kevin Listerman, winner of the 2024 Golden Apple Award.

The Golden Apple Award is an award that recognizes exemplary full-time or part-time teachers with a minimum of three years of experience in preschool, kindergarten, elementary, middle, junior high, or high school in Boone, Campbell, Carroll, Gallatin, Grant, Kenton, Owen, or Pendleton counties.

The Northern Kentucky Education Council presents this award to teachers who show leadership as well as their commitment to professional growth and development, and their ability to implement differentiated learning strategies.

This year, Highlands’ biology teacher Kevin Listerman was selected to receive the award.

“I was nominated by someone here in the building, the application asked me for some letters of recommendation and examples of my professional development,” said Listerman

Listerman is a highly viewed teacher at Highlands. Not only does he teach biology at Highlands, he also serves as their boys’ basketball coach.

“I think whenever you look at him, he lives the word ‘coach’ in everything he does,” said principal John Darnell.

In Listerman’s time here at Highlands, he has established himself as a leader inside and outside of the classroom. While being a Sweet Sixteen State Champion, he also uses his coaching inside his classroom.

“When you observe him when he’s teaching a class, he is absolutely a coach in the classroom,” said Darnell.

Listerman is a dedicated teacher when it comes to his students.

Darnell commented on this: “He’s not just teaching them things, he’s coaching them on how to be a better human, how to learn the content while following them every step of the way.” 

Not only has Listerman’s leadership been acknowledged by the state, his colleagues also look up to him.

Biology teacher Mathew Ewald stated: “I’m incredibly appreciative of the work that Mr. Listerman does each and every day at school. I am lucky to get to work with him and learn from him so that I can become a better teacher and person.”

Another trait of Listerman’s that has been highlighted by others is his ability to have fun. He has made it a mission to ensure that work is enjoyable and productive. 

“I try to have fun in not just teaching, but by enjoying the school itself. Whether that’s my colleagues or kids in the hallway, they recognize that [Highlands] is a special place and we are blessed to be here,” said Listerman.

This creative side that Listerman has expressed has been recognized by both students and faculty at Highlands High School.

“Who doesn’t love a Monochromatic Monday, a Jersey Day, or a Fun Shirt Friday?” said Ewald.