Juggling Band Life While in School

Macy Laur playing her French Horn in the joint concert on February 25, 2024

While classes, schoolwork, and extracurricular activities might make high school seem like a never-ending cycle, some kids are passionate about music. A specific set of people go to the school’s band room for sixth period as the bells sound and everyone rushes to their next lesson. This marks the start of their real exploration of the universe within melodies and harmonies.

The band director at Highlands High School, Lori Duncan, commands focus in her position at the front of the room with her infectious love for music. She encourages her students to achieve new levels of musical brilliance by guiding them through scales and exercises. 

For the kids in the band, this is a way of life, freshman, Aiden Darnell, said: “I wouldn’t say band itself is, but music in general. Everytime I’m away from music for a long period of time, I feel like a part of me is missing.” rather than just a class.

The sound of instruments playing in perfect unison floods the room, from clarinets to flutes, trumpets to trombones. Every student contributes to the ensemble’s overall sound by playing a role. 

Several students stated what they play in the band, freshman, Taylor Short, stated: “I play the flute, and I play it because I’ve had an interest in flute since I was a little kid.”

But being an instrumentalist is about more than just playing music – it’s about discipline, teamwork, and dedication. Duncan holds her students to high standards, pushing them to practice diligently and strive for perfection in every performance. It’s not uncommon for rehearsals to run late into the afternoon as the band works tirelessly to prepare for upcoming competitions and concerts.

Students in the band balance a demanding schedule of classes and homework outside of rehearsal. Although juggling their love of music with their academic obligations can be difficult, they wouldn’t have it any other way. They see the band room as a haven where they can freely express themselves and bond with like-minded people through music.

The band works hard and shows off their talent in a number of performances that they prepare for during the school year. The band kids take great pleasure in sharing their music with others, whether it’s through halftime performances at football games or private concerts. And all the while, Duncan is there to mentor and encourage her kids to aim high.

Being a part of a closely-knit community of people brings a sense of friendship which is the most satisfying thing about being an instrumentalist. Bandmates grow to be like family, helping and advising one another during the highs and lows of teenage years. They have a connection that goes beyond music since they have spent endless hours practicing and performing together.

As the final bell rings and the school day comes to a close, the students pack up their instruments and make their way home, tired but fulfilled. For them, being a part of the school band isn’t just a hobby – it’s a way of life. And as they look ahead to the future, they know that the lessons they’ve learned and the memories they’ve made will stay with them long after they’ve left the band room behind.