We like big mutts and we cannot lie: Fort Thomas Police Department gets a new canine.

Mya Schwartz
Officer TJ french and Bulliet stand in front of the FTPD.

Kentucky is the third-highest state in the US with the most drug overdoses. The rate is about 29 people for every 100,000. Close to 30 percent of these deaths were attributed to heroin, another 34 percent to the potent synthetic opioid drug fentanyl, and 28 percent involved Xanax. 

Last year, the Fort Thomas Police Department (FTPD) had an opening for a new drug detection canine. The new police canine, Bulliet, named after a whisky distillery in Kentucky, and Officer TJ French are back from their extensive training in Pennsylvania.

Officer TJ French of the FTPD said, “There are two different categories of police dogs, single purpose, which he is, drugs only, and dual purpose. He can also find lost items like tracking.”

Two main interstates are going right through Fort Thomas, these interstates are where most  drugs come from. The main purpose of using dogs in searches and traffic stops is to be able to survey an area for drugs without having to get consent from the party being searched.  

Officer French said, “The dogs have already made a difference in our community, it is a lot of responsibility on our end to find the stuff going in and out of the Cincinnati area, having a resource makes it ten times easier.”  

By utilizing the powerful senses of these dogs, authorities can intercept drug shipments, disrupt distribution networks, and deter criminal activities. Additionally, the presence of drug-detection dogs acts as a deterrent, discouraging individuals from attempting to transport or distribute illicit substances within the city, and ultimately fostering a safer environment for residents.