There’s no time like the president: Voting tips for upperclassmen

A girl hold up her voting sticker after placing her ballot in the box.
Google Images

Many upperclassmen will be of age to vote in the upcoming 2024 presidential election. Voting in Kentucky starts on May 21st. 

Voting is a fundamental right that ensures all voices are heard in the democratic process, it allows citizens to contribute to the decision-making that will shape the world. 

Participating in elections brings a sense of civic responsibility and engagement and instills the importance of being informed about political issues in younger voters. It enables people to hold elected officials accountable and advocate for changes that align with their values. 

Senior Molly De Sola said: “I think it’s very important for us to vote, especially now, we need to do our part in the community.” 

It is known that fewer young people are voting every year. Although many are interested in the election process, many excuse themselves due to a “busy schedule” or they are “scared to navigate registering.” 

Some states make voting more accessible by allowing people to register while they are still living with a guardian. Some states allow people as young as 16 years old to register. 

There are ways to encourage the youth to vote. For example, mock elections, holding “I voted” sticker design contests at schools or libraries, supporting selfies on social media, and creating hashtags. 

Ultimately, voting is a powerful tool for young individuals to shape the trajectory of their societies and play an active role in building a better future. 

Click this link to register to vote today!