Flying From the Nest: Highlands Seniors Receiving Scholarships from UC

Treiston Collins
Jude and Frances Eckerle with Jack Miner and The Bearcat after being given their scholarship.

Seniors at Highlands are making their final decisions for after high school. This has brought many different opportunities to students from different colleges.

The University of Cincinnati arrived at the nest on January 22 to present an opportunity to Highlands seniors Jude and Frances Eckerle. Both received a $6,000 scholarship from UC to take part in health science programs.

Frances Eckerle said: “I had no idea it was happening.”

The surprise was something that made it so much more exciting. It was an exciting moment when Vice Provost Jack Miner announced the names of those getting the scholarship.

Miner said: “We started a few years ago surprising some of our admits in their high school. It’s a great opportunity to celebrate graduates.”

Neither Jude nor Frances have fully committed to the University of Cincinnati, but they have both looked into the school.

Jude Eckerle said: “I loved the academic programs and how they provide resources for students, it feels like a great community.”

It will be exciting to see where they go with their choices and what has been provided to them.