A inside look at the season: reflection from senior football players

Jenna Richey
Senior captains for the last game of the season: Nate Welch, Luke Schneider, Brody Benke, and Carson Shelton walk across the field

The Highlands High School Football team had 12 wins with 1 loss in the fall of 2023. During the season, the team as well as the school congratulated Coach Bob Sphire on his 300th win in his career of coaching. 

Each senior has been playing since a different time. Senior Cam Giesler (3) stated: “Since I was around six years old”. Senior Carson Shelton (97) stated: “I guess I started playing in second grade and fell in love with it.” 

Everyone has a different reason why they started up in football. Senior Cam Giesler (3) stated: “It was really big in my family”. Most are because of where their family comes from. Senior Gershom Fennell (33) stated: “My dad mainly. He played for Highlands way back when and I wanted to somewhat carry on his legacy”.  

Football not only through their teens but also elementary school years has given them so much. Senior Carson Class (5) stated: “Brought me a lot closer to many different people in different grades. It’s also a brotherhood amongst all of us to where we all got each other’s backs”.  Senior Reed Hellmann (46) stated: “It has shown me a lot of life lessons and diversity. Also just interacting with other people and playing with the brotherhood”. 

This sport isn’t always sunny and rainbows sadly. There are times of frustration and “wanting” to quit. Senior Evan Johnson (71) stated: “Yeah, it was the year I tore my labrum. I didn’t know if I would return to playing football due to all the stress on me at that time.” Senior Carson Class (5) stated: “I did and it’s something you have to continue to push through, overcome, and find the positives in what you’re doing”. 

Sports in general during high school is difficult, especially when you are old enough to get a job. Football players practice and look over plays for hours on end allowing them to progress. Senior Carson Class (5) stated: “Football has brought a lot of structure into my life. Keeping me on a schedule, that kind of thing, but also a lot more respect for a lot of people ”. Senior Evan Johnson (71) stated: “Growing up I wasn’t the best kid, but I had the opportunity to play High School football and it taught me that you have to be good and disciplined for good things to happen to you”. 

Football will teach you a lot about coordination, collaboration, and much more, but it will also give you many life lessons behind closed doors. Senior Carson Shelton (97) stated: “It taught me how to be disciplined and just know how to treat and talk to people right”. Senior Gershom Fennell (33) stated: “Football has taught me a whole lot, like working hard and what it means to be on a team.” 

To end off, the biggest moments of high school for these boys are on the field. Senior Reed Hellmann (46) stated:  “Probably beating [Covington Catholic] last year which was my Junior year.” Gershom Fennell (33) stated: “Several moments for this year, I would say being able to make it this far in the playoffs was a pretty big moment. Also, Bob Sphire’s 300th win was a perfect moment.”