New Math Teacher: How they’re settling in

Gray
Kelsey Etherton (new math teacher) sits at her desk preparing for her next class.

This year Highlands High School gained a new math teacher, Kelsey Etherton. Highlands High School’s faculty, staff, and students are so excited to welcome these new teachers to the nest.

She taught at NCC (Newport Central Catholic) for many years before coming to Highlands, but she has always known that she wanted to be a Highlands Bluebird. 

“I am a Highlands graduate and wanted to be a Bluebird again so that I could influence students the way my students influenced me while I was here,” stated Etherton. 

She also explained her favorite thing about the Highlands  community she said, “Everyone from students to staff to family is so supportive of one another in and out of the classroom.” With the support and kindness of HHS, this transition has been as seamless as it can be.

Etherton explained what inspired her to teach math, “I had a few teachers while I was here at Highlands that helped me develop a love for the subject. When I graduated college all I could think about doing was exactly what they did for me, inspiring students to love things about math,” explained Etherton. 

She also explained what she likes to do in her free time away from school, however she doesn’t have a ton of free time to do what she likes because she is currently working on her masters of education degree at UC (The University of Cincinnati), and also coaches, “I don’t have a lot of free time because I also coach girls soccer, but when I do I enjoy reading, running, and hanging out with friends,” Etherton said. 

Everyone at Highlands is so happy to welcome someone new into the nest. It’s a great day to be a bluebird!