A New Coach Buzzes In: The Academic Team’s First Meet with Grillot

The scores of each match are recorded by coaches on both teams

For the past few years, Robin Kemp, a former Highlands Science teacher, has been coaching the Highlands’ Academic Team. With her retirement, Kym Grillot has stepped up to take her place as coach. 

Grillot was excited for the opportunity to coach the team. Grillot said: “Since my own children, Case & Lela, participated in the program and Ms. Kemp retired, I wanted to help keep the team going.” 
In addition to losing their coach, the Academic Team also lost quite a few seniors who were on their team last year. 

Senior Warren Deaton, a returning member of the Academic Team explained: “I feel like I really want to take more of a leadership role.” 

Last Tuesday, Oct. 3, the Academic Team had their first meet. The meet was against Campbell County, a team notorious for their efficiency and intelligence.

The Academic Team played two matches against Campbell county: one varsity and one junior varsity.

The team faced an unfortunate defeat in the first match. Coach Grillot said: “I don’t see it as a loss. Our JV 9th and 10th graders played their Varsity because we had no upperclassmen that day.”

On the other hand, the Academic Team absolutely killed it in their JV match with an end score of 35-27.

Overall, the Academic Team is off to a great start so far.