Rap Queens Want the Crown: Megan Thee Stallion vs. Nicki Minaj

Megan Thee Stallions album cover for ‘HISS’
Megan Thee Stallion’s album cover for ‘HISS’

Loud music coming from big stadiums downtown, people singing and screaming, and flashing lights surrounded all around them. This all comes down to billions of people in the United States going to concerts to support and see their favorite song artists in person. Even when they are in the 700 section or all the way down in the pit they will do anything to go. The big world of all sorts of music genres comes down to one that millions of people listen to– rap. 

On January 29th, 2023 Nicki Minaj released a song called “Big Foot” as a response to Megan Thee Stallion’s song “Hiss”. In Megan’s song she refers, “Megan’s Law.” This law states information about registered sex offenders is avalible to the public view. Minaji’s Husband, Kenneth Petty, is a registered sex offender. Petty was also convicted of manslaughter in the first degree. He was sentenced to 10 years but was released after serving seven in 2013 and was supervised release for five years. 

Freshman Lyla Shaffer said: “I personally think the argument is dumb, and that Nicki is overthinking it. I just want to listen to music and I don’t pay attention to the meaning. She should go on about her day and let songs be songs.” 

After the song HISS was released, Minaj snapped back with her song and referred to the time Megan got shot in the foot by Tory Lanez.

Freshman Avaann Schilling said: “This story goes a lot deeper but people are hearing the surface of it. All that matters is the bigger part.”

During this whole argument, both rappers have appeared on talk shows and podcasts talking about their side. Megan still has not responded to Big Foot but has been thanking her fans for supporting her and having her song. Hiss is NO.1 on the multimetric Billboard Hot 100.