Government Course: How the Class Affects Students

Government students taking their government exam.

Walking into a government classroom, discussions of many controversial topics fill students’ ears. What are people talking about? What side are you on? One side says yes, but one side says no. One of these topics is the death penalty, one of the most controversial topics in America. 

Kym Grillot is one of the teachers at Highlands High School who teaches one of the government classes. 

Mrs. Grillot said: “Students need to know how the government operates and what the laws are so understanding the US Constitution is vital to their success after high school.” 

She is willing to help our seniors at HHS prepare for life after high school. She wants all students to have knowledge of the history and the government of our nation. Taking a government class will help you learn way the government will affect your ability to work and how you will make money. She wants them to make good choices by knowing how the government works so they don’t go down the wrong path. 

Being a citizen and able to function correctly in our government today seniors need more understanding before leaving high school then after. Daily, you will never come across something that isn’t connected to our government. For high schoolers well well-being Grillot wants them to take classes and participate in as much community work, vote, etc. And as much as you can to learn about the outside world after high school. 

But, in the outside world, there’s a lot of topics in the air. Which are all controversial. There will always be multiple sides of things and people will never piece together to make one side.

Brian Merz, AFG – Divisional Vice President of Great American Financial, states: “One controversial topic impacting our govt is social media and the way algorithms are designed to keep feeding you topics that are in line with your way of thinking.” 

Social media is one of those topics that will not have a bias side of anything. This creates a tremendous divide in our government and country alone. Social media can travel outside of our country as well. Making topics in social media even bigger than they should’ve been. 

People in our society are unwilling to listen to what other people have to say. Making people come to their own conclusions without using multiple viewpoints. So it won’t be factual and backed up with evidence to be proven close to right. They do this mainly because of their beliefs and won’t let anything slide past them. 

Many people can see this differently. They can see the government as an amazing and well-set government, but many others can see that our government is a blue-and-red pill government. Like there is no in-between. Either you believe one way or another. You can’t be for both sides. 

Merz also says, “Just listen to our politicians, they are more worried about party politics than protecting/helping Americans better their lives. There are also outside govt’s/entities pumping social media with misinformation to exacerbate the problems.” 

In our government, there’s always opinion. It is not a bad thing but it can get heated leading to some violence. Some people want real facts without opinions. And where opinion can be seen. Accurate information can make rational decisions some may say. But some can say, How can we function without opinions bouncing off the walls left and right? Our opinions need to be heard and that’s final.

The new generation will have their heads high for what’s coming for them. Maybe change the world or a community. Or maybe as little as helping out another person. They will do what is right and will know what is to come. What side they will be on will make up their future.