Hiring Process: Becoming a Staff Member at Highlands

Firm hand shake of agreement

Applying to work at a school can be very stressful. There are many steps to go through. Selecting the right job and school would be the first of the many next steps to lead to a future role at a school. 

When applying to work for a school you have to go to their district website to look for open job positions. Then the next step would be to pick an open job and fill out an application. In the application, information about past jobs and degrees are needed. Once the application is submitted the principal reviews the applications. The applications are reviewed and then the chosen applicants are brought in to be interviewed. Once interviewed the application and recommendations are forwarded to the superintendent. The superintendent files for a background check. Once background checks are fulfilled final paperwork is filled out. The last step is being successfully hired.

“You’re going to want to work with someone who you feel like can connect with students,” said Principal John Darnell.

When applying to be a teacher having qualities like being intelligent and kind are necessary and often looked for when being interviewed. Kids are going to want to be in an engaging classroom, which is heavily influenced by the choice of staff. When interviewed for a position of teaching at a school often the principals look for qualities like these to bring the best learning experience to their students.

After being interviewed the principal selects the applicants to move forward with the process of being hired and sets up a background check. To get background checks they take the applicant’s fingerprint to get their full history. The background check gives important information about the applicant like past felonies, theft, drug charges, and domestic violence cases. Getting these background checks is crucial to know whether or not the applicant is suited to be around children.

“Those things cause us to have red flags in our system,” said Mrs. Jamee Flaherty. Choosing to do background checks is vital when picking the right teacher for a school. 

Many important steps go into picking the right teacher for a school. Making sure the applicant has a professional application and clear background plays into getting hired for the right position. Choosing the right teacher for the position opens up the school for new opportunities of growth and progress.