Out he goes: Speaker of house ousted

++Kevin+McCarthy+as+he+was+finally+voted+out+of+the+house.
CNBC
Kevin McCarthy as he was finally voted out of the house.

In January of 2023, Representative Kevin McCarthy (R-CA20) was elected Speaker of the House by the members of the House of Representatives. It was a difficult process because there were members of his own Republican party who did not support him. After 15 rounds of voting, he was chosen speaker.

Many Republicans’ frustration grew during McCarthy’s time as speaker with one sticking point during his debt ceiling negotiations with President Joe Biden. Then October 1st, the government was in danger of shutting down because a budget had not been passed yet. When his own party wouldn’t approve the budget, he compromised with the Democrats to get something passed so the government wouldn’t shut down. On October 3, McCarthy was voted out of the house. For the first time in U.S. history, The 216-210 vote, forced McCarthy out of the House and threw the House and its Republican leadership into chaos.

When asked why McCarthy was removed from speaker government teacher Kym Grillot replied with, “Because he compromised with the Democrats, he was removed from his Speaker position. Democrats voted to remove him because when he appeared on a news show, he didn’t give them credit for avoiding the shutdown.”

Grillot also added, “He still represents his district in California – he was only removed from a leadership position – he wasn’t removed from Congress.”

McCarthy served as speaker for 269 days. He said in a press conference Tuesday “I leave my position with a sense of pride, accomplishment, and optimism, and that I don’t regret standing up for choosing governance over grievance.” 

For now, there is no consensus on who might be able to fill the huge vacancy in the speaker’s office. House Republicans will gather Oct. 11 to hold internal elections to nominate a replacement.

View Comments (2)

• C

CarolineOct 12, 2023 at 7:06 pm

No one in either house no one in either house knows to work together . Hopeless ?‍♀️

Reply
  • N

Nwanneka OsigweOct 12, 2023 at 6:25 pm

I am of the view that Speaker McCarthy was a good speaker who always worked for policies that were in the interest of the nation.The fact that the republican’s far-right angry folks wanted him out cause he refused to their extreme agenda was not enough for the Democrats to help oust him.
    I blame the house democrats for aiding just a few angry MAGA and extremists like Maart Gartz,Jordan etc whose interest was to wage war against the rest of American people.

Reply