Shooting for Success: The Excitement of the 2023 Girls’ Basketball Season

8th grader Maren Orme goes in for the shot against the Dixie Heights Colonels.

As the winter chill sets in, so does the excitement for the upcoming girls’ basketball season. With teams across the tri-state gearing up for another thrilling run, anticipation is building for the fierce competition that lies ahead. From seasoned veterans to new recruits, the 2023 season promises to showcase the strength, skill, and sportsmanship of these talented athletes on both JV and Varsity.

The Varsity girls’ basketball team had a 23-9 record last season, achieving 1744 points, 268 free throws, and 960 rebounds. Despite a loss in regionals, their resilience and achievements set high expectations for the upcoming season.

This year’s varsity roster includes Sophomore Saylor Macke, Sophomore Kaylee Mills, Junior Marissa Green, Senior Amaya Barton, Sophomore Katie Bucher, Senior Kasey Gross, Sophomore Avery Barber, Junior Aubrey Barrett, 8th grader Maren Orme, and 8th grader Gabby Neufarth.

The season began with the Hoops for Hunger community event. Hoops for Hunger was a success and they collected around 2,000 cans. The girls’ first game was against Dixie Heights, coming home with a JV win 25-22 yet Varsity loss 42-32.

When asked about the first game Varsity Head Coach Jaime Richey said: “It was a learning game. Hopefully, we’re gonna learn from it and not make the same mistakes in the next game.”

The team is scheduled to participate in several tournaments, including the Donna Murphy Classic, the Ronald McDonald House Classic, the Lady Invitational of the South, the Simpson’s Tree Service/H+W Sports Classic, and the 9th vs. 10th Hardwood Classic. 

The most anticipated matchups of the season include a game against Cooper on December 5th at 7:30 p.m. at Cooper and another against Ryle on January 26th at 6:00 p.m. with the location to be determined. Mark your calendars to show your support for the Ladybirds during these important games!

Unfortunately, the girls’ freshmen team had to cancel their season due to a shortage of players, affecting their well-being and safety. Despite the disappointment, this decision provided freshmen with exposure to JV experiences, fostering growth and preparation for future seasons.

This year’s JV roster includes Sophomore Isa Neufarth, Sophomore Madison Barlow, Sophomore Wiley Willis, Freshman Josie Marron, Freshman Meredith Hicks, Freshman Ella Jones, Freshman Maddy Lickert, 8th grader Gabby Neufarth, and 7th grader Bailey Richey. 

The 2023 season promises excitement and competition, showcasing outstanding athletes’ strength, ability, and sportsmanship. The girls’ basketball team’s impressive record sets the stage for higher expectations, with upcoming tournaments and games against Cooper and Ryle requiring fans’ support. The season promises another captivating chapter in their journey.