Ruining the win: Matt Miazga storms into the referee’s locker room

A yellow card was issued to Matt Miazga during the game against the NY Red Bulls.

Advancing to the Conference Semifinals, FC Cincinnati had an exciting win against the New York Red Bulls on November 4. The regulation time of the game ended with a score of 1-1. The game moved to penalty kicks to find who would advance.

After one round of penalty kicks, they had yet to declare a winner after a 4-4 score for the kicks. Both teams moved into a second round to have a score of 8-7 for the kicks, giving Cincinnati the advancement to the semifinals. 

This did not happen without Defender Matt Miazga getting a yellow card during his kick. The 28-year-old was issued the yellow card which combined to give him a one-game suspension.

This build-up led to Miazga barging into the referee’s locker room at the Red Bulls stadium. Sources say that he acted in an aggressive and hostile manner. Many fans are upset with Miazga and are waiting for a statement from the MLS and FCC.

A statement was made by the PSRA (Professional Soccer Referee Association) on X. The statement did not include the name of the player, but it did ask for the MLS to take action.

Junior Emma Doerr watched the moment that the card was issued and said, “Watching him play, you have seen his emotions change and this was one of those moments.”

Through the years of Miazga playing for the MLS and USMNT, fans can find large changes in his emotions in just a few seconds.

People are claiming that the cards were part of a bias due to Miazga’s former career for the Red Bulls. He signed to the team in 2013, then ended his career in 2016 when he went to Chelsea.

As supporters wait for statements, they are speaking on X on their thoughts about the possible bias from both teams and the referees.