A Scary Leap: How to achieve your goals in the gym

Brittanica
A picture of a gym.

Whether you are getting in the gym because you want to lose weight, work on aesthetics, or gain strength, it can be hard to motivate yourself to get up and go.

It’s essential to make a habit out of the gym; going whenever you feel like it is not a recipe for consistency. If you go with a friend, you may find it easier to stick to a schedule.

It’s also vital to keep yourself on some sort of plan or routine, whether the plan comes from a trainer, friend, or phone app. Knowing what you need to accomplish in the gym makes everything much more manageable.

Gym performance depends on the food you put into your body. Ensure you get the proper ratio of protein, fat, and carbs while limiting your intake of unhealthy sugars. 

Avoid too much junk food; if you don’t fill your body with enough protein or overeat high-carb/sugar foods, you will have less energy, put on excess fat, and be hungry sooner. 

It’s a common assumption that calories must be avoided at all costs, this is not true when trying to achieve physical fitness. This is because a calorie is a unit of energy, and this energy is used by the body to build muscle; however, this can also result in fat buildup if too many of a particular macronutrient is consumed. 

It is essential also to consider the other implications of achieving success in the gym: personal sacrifices such as going to bed and forcing yourself to drink more water throughout the day.

Once you’ve ensured your success in the gym, do your best not to interfere with others’ success. Be sure to practice proper gym etiquette, re-rack your weights, wipe down machines, wear headphones for music, and don’t record others.

Be confident—odds are, others in the gym aren’t even paying attention to you, so don’t feel insecure about your abilities.

You can get strong anywhere. Any commercial gym will have what you need to achieve your goals, even if you need to tweak your routine. Research at-home workouts, bodyweight workouts, or even buy some basic equipment.

Be sure to do some research into routines and more specific advice for your goals. With the gym, you get out what you put in, put in enough effort and you will get results.