Keep on running: Cross Country Team Working to State

Cincinnati Enquirer
Highlands teammates Brady Robinson (1814), Max Zengel (1837) and Chase Pawsat (1806) during the Northern Kentucky Athletic Conference cross country championship meet Oct. 8, 2022, at England-Idlewild Park, Burlington, Ky.

The Highlands High School Cross Country Team ran at the NKAC cross country meet this past weekend on Saturday, October 7th at Idlewild Park in Burlington, Kentucky. 

This was a big meet for the Bluebirds cross country team, showing them where they are compared to the other Northern Kentucky teams leading up to regionals in the upcoming weeks. The team performed well, but not at their best. The top 5 girl runners for the team are, Ella Taylor,(9th) Sophia Taylor (9th), Sydney Houlihan (10th), Rosalyn Brown (10th), Liza Zengel (10th), and Georgia Zengel (8th).

Sophie Taylor said, “We train 6 days a week. Long runs on Sundays and a break on Fridays before the meet.” 

The girl’s team did well with a 9th place finish by Sophie Taylor, 27th place finish by Houlihan, 37th place finish by Brown, 39th place finish by Liza Zengel, and 40th place finish by Georgia Zengel.

Our region is one of the fastest in the state with Notre Dame Academy, Campbell County, Ryle, Connor, and Covington Catholic.

With our region being so fast, the team has a lot of competition and gets to run against a lot of the best runners in Kentucky every week.

Coach Allesandro said, “The course is challenging, with a lot of hills, but they are prepared for it.”

The boys did well with a 9th place finish by Robertson, 16th place finish by McKenzie, 23rd place finish by McCain, 24th place finish by Robinson, and 26th place finish by Zengal, leading the team to a 7th place finish.

Leading up to this meet Coach Alessandro said, “The boy’s team had a lot of illness this season, but the boys are feeling better and we are hoping for a top-three finish.”

The boys team did well, with the top 5 boys being  Malcolm Robertson (12th), Erza Mckenzie (12th), Owen Mccain (12th), Brady Robinson (11th),  and Max Zengal (12th).