#SJW2024: Why I love being a student journalist

“I will always be grateful for the lessons I learned in this journalism class and for all the people I met along the way.”

There are days in journalism where I sit at my computer and type all day and there are others where I am running around the schools trying to find interviews. There are lots of emotional ups and downs, from the stress of trying to get Monarch to work to the excitement after finishing an article and getting it posted on the Hilltopper.

But there are very few boring days in journalism class.

Journalism in schools affects all the students and teachers as well as people in the community around us. Student journalists can share their stories with students and teachers alike and it can help to give them a voice in schools.

And make a real change.

The articles that students write can even be read by people outside of school. It can help people in the community feel more connected to what is going on in the school. Students should take a journalism class because they can help to make a real impact on the school and that community and learn lots of valuable skills.

This class will push students out of their comfort zones and allow them to grow in lots of ways.

Studies have also shown that students who take a high school journalism class earn higher grade point averages, score better on the ACT, and have better writing and grammar skills than other students. Scholastic journalism is very important in schools because it allows students to share their opinions and express themselves through photography and writing.

My experience with being a journalist hasn’t always been smooth sailing, but I’ve learned a lot.

I’ve learned journalistic skills like how to use a camera and improved writing. But beyond that, I have learned to improve my conversation skills through interviewing and better my time management skills. I took journalism because I needed to get an art credit completed but I have grown to love this class. The class has given me a good creative outlet that I never realized how much I needed.

I will always be grateful for the lessons I learned in this journalism class and for all the people I met along the way.