In the Courtroom: Mock Trail Wins Region

The HHS Mock Trial team standing in the courtroom.

Recently, the HHS (Highlands High School) Mock Trial team won their regional tournament against tough competition from Simon Kenton, Marian County, and Montgomery County. Scrimmages, practices, and perseverance all led the team to victory and a bid to the state tournament in March.

Preparing for regionals wasn’t an easy job. The team practiced every Wednesday and Saturday for hours to prepare for the region. During these practices, they used scrimmages and learned to take constructive criticism to better themselves for the tournament. Practicing and refining their skills in court helped pull off a win.

Sophomore Dee Robinson said:, “We practice every Wednesday and Saturday, we make our own scripts and go against each other. It’s really fun.”

In the courtroom, unexpected challenges and twists are common. When the team takes the stand they must learn how to not let these obstacles affect their performance.

“There wasn’t any really unexpected challenges. Just people say some silly things while you’re on the stand and you have to be able to work with it, and try to make it look bad for them and not you.” Sophomore Morgan Davis said. 

Overall, regionals for the Mock Trial team at HHS was a success. Good luck at the state tournament birds!