Is Dak the most overrated player in the NFL?: A Dak Prescott overview

Sports Illustrated
Dak Prescott dropping back during the game.

Dak Prescott grew up in a trailer park in rural Louisiana, the youngest of three boys living with their single mother who managed a truck stop. It was in a field behind that trailer park where Dak’s older brothers taught him to play football. 

Prescott was a fourth-round draft pick rookie who found himself thrust into a starting role in the very first game of his professional career. Prescott had a record-breaking rookie season with the Cowboys, keeping the starting quarterback position even when Romo returned from his injury. Dak was a starter in every game in the 2016 season, posting a 13-3-1 record, which was the best in the NFC. Along the way, he also picked up the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year award and set the NFL Rookie record for playoff performance: 3 tds, 302 yards, with a QBR of 103.2.

Dak has accomplished much more in his time in the league, The Walter Payton Man of the Year Award, Pepsi Next Rookie of the Year, NFL Honors, AP Rookie of the Year, and even ESPY Best Breakthrough Athlete of the Year award. Despite all this being said people still call him a washed, fraud, bottom-tier level Quarterback in the NFL. Some go as far as saying he is so bad he shouldn’t even be in the league. 

In the 2023-2024 season, Dak has thrown for 3,505 yards, 28 TDS, six ints, with a QBR of 74%, and led his team to a 10-3 record. The Cowboys are currently sitting tied at first with the Eagles in the NFC East. Dak’s career stats get even better. Dak has thrown a career of 28,500 yards, 194 TDS, and 70 ints, with a 69% completion percentage. 

Dak has been one of the most over-hated and overlooked guys his entire life. He continues to work and show he can be an elite MVP candidate The Cowboys team is clicking right now. Can Dak pull off a Super Bowl? Who knows, but the Cowboys will be in contention for a trophy.

View Comments (1)

• C

ChristopherMar 1, 2024 at 12:06 am

No he cannot look at how many years he’s been playing not once has he ever took the boys to the playoffs any other team would have traded him off by now that’s the facts I don’t care how many games he has won for them throughout the 10 years of his career has ever took them past first round I think not ?

Reply