We the People compete in D.C.

Back to Article
Back to Article

We the People compete in D.C.

Seniors Garrett Harrison, Kate Eckerle, Zoie Barth, Alex Harrison, Steve Lang, Jacob Schuh, Trever Hewins, Michaela Brown, Betsy Sellers, Sydney Cooper, Elizabeth Schwalbach, Lily Hennigan, Kat Finnseth, Sarah Cayton, and Catherine Dauer

Last weekend, the Highland’s We the People team took on 57 teams in Washington D.C..  Although they weren’t able to know how they scored as compared to other teams, there is an overall confidence in their group.

The team has spent the past months preparing opening statements and responses to possible questions in order to perform as well as possible. They have done extensive research on court cases and constitutional amendments in order to have strong evidence to support their argument. Because the judges are experts in their professions, being lawyers, professors, etc., this preparation was imperative to their success.

Although they weren’t able to take home any awards, the experience that the students were able to receive was just as beneficial.

Besides the competitions, the team spent time touring the nation’s capital and even had the opportunity to meet political figures, such as senators Mitch McConnell and Mitt Romney.

Sarah Cayton, a member of the team stated, “It was super fun, I had a great time. My experience with the class was really positive I’m going to be a much better citizen because of the class.”