Birds blow out St. Henry 9-0 in first region game


Tessa Killen

Senior Adrian Mills takes a shot on the St. Henry goalkeeper.

Tessa Killen and Nick Caldwell

On Tuesday night, the Highlands boys varsity soccer team won in a shutout game against Saint Henry Catholic School in the first round of the regional tournament on October 16th. The final score was 9-0 in favor of Highlands.

It was the first round of the boys’ soccer regional tournament. Highlands was up against St. Henry. The game started out with St. Henry’s team being loud and confident, but that didn’t ruffle the bird’s feathers.

Within the first several minutes, senior Garrett Crowe scored the first point in the game. Many other goal attempts were followed.

The score kept rising in favor of Highlands. By the end of the first half, the score was 4-0.

Kevin Nieporte, the athletic director at Highlands, was very enthused about the way the game was going so far.

“Obviously, I love these types of games when we have a great first half,” Nieporte said, “I love a bird’s blowout!”

Eight minutes into the second half of the game, senior Carter Holmes scores the fifth point, making the score 5-0 Highlands.

The Highlands team was becoming very confident in the way they were performing as the score crept up. Porter Hedenberg, junior, was pleased with his team and the probable outcome of the game.

“So far we are playing very well. We are sticking to our game plan,” Hedenberg explained.

Several minutes before the second half of the game concluded, senior Cary Gorrigan scored the ninth and final goal.

Coach Chad Niedert was very pleased with the outcome of the game. He expressed high hopes for the matches to come.

“Our guys are excited and energetic. I think the better team won. If we continue to play like we did then we can win the regional tournament,” said Niedert.

With this victory, the birds will advance to the second round of the regional tournament. The second round will be on October 18th at 5:30 pm on the Covington Catholic High School.