Students at Highlands High School Prepare for AP Exams

Emme Orme
The schedule for the AP exams.

As summer approaches and the academic year races faster and faster towards the end, students at Highlands High School find themselves gearing up for what may be one of the most significant challenges of their high school careers. The AP (Advanced Placement) exams test students’ knowledge and skills while also offering the opportunity to earn college credit and stand out in the eyes of admission officers.

When asked about how she is preparing for AP exams, Sophomore Eva Weinel said: “I have lots of studying resources from our AP world history teacher and I even take the initiative to go over old packets and assignments as well as study the textbooks that we used.”

AP exams cover a wide range of subjects, and for students with multiple exams to prepare for, time management is key. Start by creating a study schedule that allows dedicated time for each subject by down the material into manageable chunks, focusing on one topic or concept at a time. Include regular breaks to avoid burnout and maintain focus. 

Reviewing course material is the foundation of AP exam preparation. Dust off those class notes, textbooks, and supplementary materials and review key concepts, formulas, and vocabulary. Students should pay close attention to areas where they may be struggling and dedicate extra time to reinforce their understanding. 

When asked about how he felt about the AP exams, Senior Jameson Zoller expressed: “I feel very confident about the AP exams. I feel like I’ve been doing good work in my 3 AP classes. I’ve kept all of my notes throughout the year and I feel like I will do well!!”

Practice makes perfect, especially when it comes to AP exams. Students should take advantage of mimicking the format and content of the actual exams, allowing them to familiarize themselves with the types of questions they’ll see and identify areas needed for improvement.

With careful planning, studying, and a positive mindset, students at Highlands High School will be well-equipped on exam day.