Senior Superlatives Starting in the Nest

Jade Sandmann
The Google form being used for the nominations that is sent out to seniors.

As the school year comes to a close, the senior class gathers to celebrate its’ individually distinct personalities, talents, and accomplishments of students through the tradition of senior superlatives. This valued tradition recognizes people, creating long-lasting memories and ties among the graduating class.

At Highlands, senior superlatives are a collective effort, based on the collective voice of the senior class. The process begins with a three-day nomination window, allowing seniors to recognize their classmates for various attributes, including humor, kindness, extracurricular achievements, and more.

The true excitement occurs when the nomination window ends and the voting phase begins. Each category, from “Most Likely to Succeed” to “Best Dressed,” allows for voting. Seniors vote for the people they believe best represent each superlative.

Senior class sponsor, Mr. Listerman, said “Once we have the nominations, we will open the voting for each category.” He ended by adding that winners will be determined by who garners the most votes, provided that person hasn’t already won a senior superlative category.

The senior class awards a superlative to a student who wins one category. If a nominee wins multiple categories, they are awarded in the category with the most votes, allowing others to claim recognition in the remaining ones. This creates anticipation and unpredictability, recognizing diverse seniors for their unique contributions.

Senior superlatives honor winners and their long-term impact on the high school community, demonstrating their character, talents, and relationships. They also build unity and connection within the graduating class.

In the end, senior superlatives are more than just titles; they celebrate all the different people that comprise the senior class, each making their mark on Highlands in their own, distinct way. As the seniors prepare to embark on their new chapter, they can reflect on this tradition for years.