Local Frisch’s restaurants unexpectedly close

The+Frischs+Big+Boy+Logo.+
Frisch’s
The Frisch’s Big Boy Logo.

Frisch’s Big Boy goes back many years; starting with Samuel Frisch. In 1905 he opened the Frisch Café in Cincinnati, Ohio. Samuel then, in 1915, opened Frisch’s Stag Lunch located in Norwood, which was a suburb in Cincinnati at the time. Samuel passed not long after, leaving his sons to run the restaurant. One of those sons, Dave Frisch, wanted to follow in his father’s footsteps.

In 1939, Dave opened Cincinnati’s first year-round drive-in named Mainliner restaurant. He then met a man named Bob Wain who introduced him to a double-decker cheeseburger called the “Big Boy.” He made a change to the sandwich, adding the unique tartar sauce to the middle and bottom buns. 

In 1946 the “Big Boy” became a hit at the very first location in Cincinnati and had room for only 8 customers inside but had a sixty-car lot. 

Frisch’s quickly became popular for its swell food, fantastic service, and warm, inviting environment. Whether individuals were craving classic comfort food or adventurous creations, the restaurant always brought a rare dining experience. 

However, despite its undeniable success and popularity, Frisch’s has faced its share of challenges over the years, which leaves locked doors and displays “permanently closed” signs around the building. 

Frisch’s Big Boy had owned and ran 95 restaurants as well as licensing 26 restaurants. The company now only lists less than 80 restaurants located throughout Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana. 

The recent closures are: 

4016 Dixie Highway in Erlanger

1575 W. Galbraith Road in North College Hill

4645 Spring Grove Ave. in Spring Grove Village

520 W. 5th St. in Covington

There has been a rumor about another location shutting down but it is unknown at this time. 

Over the years Frisch’s has changed menu offerings, renovated the Big Boy mascot, and remodeled the style and appearance to be more welcoming and open. Nevertheless, representatives of NRD Capital Partners, a private firm, took over the chain of 121 restaurants for $175 million. 

As we say goodbye to our local Frisch’s Big Boy, celebrate the legacy it leaves behind and cherish the memories of meals shared, laughter exchanged, and bonds formed within its walls. 

View Comments (1)

• S

SueApr 15, 2024 at 3:25 am

I think they should open a Frischs in Maineville Ohio. There’s nothing like it out here and I think it would do well. I love Frischs and I hate driving so far to eat. My families and I eat at Frischs more than anywhere else.

Reply