Students Give Opinions on Exam Exemptions

Sophie Taylor
Cover of the student and parent handbook.

Many people are aware of the exam policy set in place at the beginning of the year. The policy states that any student who does not miss more than six days of school can skip two exams in May, but some of the requirements are considered to be unfair. 

The new policy is titled “Attendance Incentives” and states: “A student will be eligible for an exam exemption for 2 classes in May, (one core class and one elective class of their choice) if they meet the following criteria…” The criteria being that the student has an 80% or higher in all classes and, most significantly, that no more than 6 absences are permitted, whether excused or unexcused. While these rules may work for some, others find them to be stifling. 

According to an article by Kids Health, this rule might be more helpful to the staff than the students. The article states: “Most adults catch a cold from time to time, but kids can get 8 colds per year or more.” This would be more than the six day rule. Of course, some students may find their experiences are different. 

While some may agree with the six day rule, Freshman Emma Hood does not.

“I think it’s really unfair. If you have a doctor’s note then it shouldn’t count against you. Excused absences shouldn’t count toward the six days.” Hood is one of the many students who will not be getting exempt from exams, but even those who will be getting exempt have their doubts about the new rule.

Someone who will be getting exempt from exams is Freshman Macy Davis.

“I like the rule, I think it’s good. But I think it should be, like, if the absences are excused, then they shouldn’t count. Because people are probably going to be sick or something.” 

Of course, this is not to say that people dislike the idea of exam exemptions. Most agree that while they may not like the conditions of the rule, they do agree that it’s nice to have a chance to miss their exams.

Sophomore Rosalyn Brown said, “I think it’s important to have good attendance, but being exempt from exams should be based on if you’re doing well in classes or not, rather than how many times you’re in class.” 

In fact, a survey was recently posted and the results revealed that 67.4% of students will be getting exempt. Despite this, opinions on whether or not the rule is fair were very close. The survey found that 38.5% of students find the rule to be unfair, and 36.5% of students believe that it is fair. 25% of the students chose to elaborate, explaining that the rule would be fair if only unexcused absences counted against them, but they liked the opportunity to skip two exams.

Everyone is clearly divided over the rule, even with the majority of students being exempt. Make sure to check your absences on infinite campus, and stay healthy so you can skip your exams in May.