Divided Opinions: 2024 Super Halftime Show

Sophomore Cydni Martin watching the Super Bowl halftime show during free time.

Since the 1960s, Super Bowl halftime shows have been one of the main topics of the Super Bowl. Sunday, February 11, was the annual Super Bowl, and just like every year, people had opinions on the halftime show. The halftime show performers consisted of artists Usher, Alicia Keys, H.E.R., Ludacris, and Lil Jon, who performed various songs from their albums over the years.

When asked about what people thought about the Super Bowl halftime performances, some people believed that the 2024 Super Bowl wasn’t the best one and absolutely could’ve been better. Others thought the only problem was Usher, and some thought the whole thing was perfect.

Freshman Ady Klosterman said: “I think Usher had so much more potential than what he put out. He had so much potential for more features. I was okay with Ludacris and Lil Jon, and I was okay with Alicia Keys, but I feel like she was a little too slow and it didn’t fit with the vibe of the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl is supposed to have so much energy and she just didn’t have that.” 

However, some students believe that the halftime show performance was great and they wouldn’t change anything about it.

Freshman Kara Laber said: “Honestly, I think Usher gave a great performance. Maybe he should’ve hooked the viewers in just a little bit more but he was great, and Alicia Keys was just amazing. I love her.” 

The 2024 Super Bowl halftime performance stirred a range of opinions among viewers, particularly the students of Highlands High School. While some felt it fell short of expectations, others found it captivating and memorable. Whether it was too much, too little, or just right is subjective, showing the diverse tastes and preferences of audiences. Regardless of the viewpoints of students at HHS, the halftime show remains an integral part of the Super Bowl tradition, continuing to spark debates and discussions year after year.