Teaching Expertise: Highlands’ Favorite Health Teacher

Mike Code
Code gives a speech.

Whether a freshman or a senior, students throughout Highlands know they have a safe space in room 111. This year, Mr. Mike Code, the school’s dedicated health I & II teacher, is celebrating his 30th year of teaching, which may also be his last.

Code’s initial interest in teaching was coaching basketball, but he later found his calling in the classroom. 

Over the course of his 30-year career, Code has spent 26 years at Highlands. He loves the school, and has high praise for the students and faculty, calling them “as good as you can have in the state of Kentucky” and “the best [he’s] ever seen or worked with.”

Code is cherished by the people of Highlands. Willie Schlarman, Code’s best friend and  geometry teacher, said: “I think he’s an excellent teacher… he’s got people’s attention from the moment they walk in.” 

Schlarman added: “He wants people to learn… he does a great job of communicating what he knows and is able to share with students.”

Schlarman continued: “With all that he knows and all that he’s able to share, it doesn’t mean a thing unless he’s able to communicate that to the students, and he does a great job with that.”

For many students, Code is more than just a teacher. He is someone they can trust. Maddy Lance, a sophomore and former student of Code’s, said: “Mr. Code’s room is a sort of safe environment… He’s the type of teacher you can go to if you ever need help.”

For students at Highlands, knowing there is always a helping hand and a listening ear in room 111 really makes a difference.