Iconic Ohio Destination, Coney Island: Permanently Closed

The Enquirer
Coney Island gates are permanently closed.

After 125 years of business, Coney Island, the prominent water park of Ohio is permanently closed as of December 31st, 2023. Coney Island has been in operation since 1886 with its most famous Sunlite pool opening in 1925. The amusement park has been through dozens of changes throughout the years. 

The amusement park’s closure signals the first full summer without Sunlite Pool. Its opening was delayed in 2020 in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, but the pool has otherwise offered summer-long thrills each year.

It is 200 feet wide, 401 feet long, and holds more than three million gallons of water. According to the amusement park’s website, it is the world’s largest recirculating pool.

Coney Island says Sunlite Pool season passes purchased for the 2024 season will be refunded, to ease the minds of those always-constant Coney Island visitors

The park said every season pass purchased for the 2024 season will be fully refunded and credit card purchases and payment plan payments will be credited to the card used to make the purchase. 

Management announced that Coney Island will be sold to Music & Event Management Inc. mostly related to the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. 

Although many have accepted the closing of this long-standing amusement park, on the day of this arousing announcement many protestors gathered outside the historic Coney Island gates. Protest organizers say they have over 21,000 signatures on petitions to save the park. The park’s new owners, Music and Event Managers Inc., said more information about the planned music venue will be released in the next few months.

“We are building a new home for live music events that will offer a mesmerizing fusion of cutting-edge technology and architectural significance.”

This new development will usher in the future of the music industry, and we are proud to be leading the next step in the same way Riverbend changed the face of live music in our community 40 years ago when it opened.

Now, with CSO’s historic success with Riverbend and PNC Pavilion, we are creating an expanded music, arts and entertainment campus for the region to drive artistic excellence and innovation as well as the local economy.” said Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra President Jonathan Martin.

Coney Island was an important component in many individuals’ lives. We hope that the New development gives as much joy as Coney Island did.