Time to leave the nest: College Planning Tips with Mrs. Schnitzler

Oli
The home screen of Scoir which Senior students are using for college searches.

College planning and the application process can be a complex and vital step in your educational adventure. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to plan for college and navigate the application process by Counselor Laura Schnitzler. 

1. Papers 

Laura Schnitzler, a guidance counselor at HHS said, “The best thing to do is to look at the handout we provided for them when we went to visit in classes. We also posted it on Schoology. It goes through like everything you need to do.”

1. Meaning of paper

“If you need to decide what colleges, understand when all the deadlines are, make a spreadsheet to help keep yourself organized, and make sure you follow our guidelines with Scoir and your college moved sooner rather than later,” stated Laura Schnitzler.

1. Scholarships 

Laura Schnitzler said, “Sometimes scholarships are provided automatically with whatever you provide in your applications or sometimes you have to look at that college’s website and see if there is a separate application for applying for scholarships.”

Letters of Recommendation:

Ask teachers, counselors, or mentors for letters of recommendation. Please provide them with any necessary information to write strong letters about you. While thinking of whom to ask, also write a thank you note to them, given they took the time to write a letter all about you, your efforts, and your achievements. 

Remember, it’s important to research and follow the specific requirements and guidelines of the colleges you’re interested in. Connect with counselors, teachers, and mentors from your high school throughout this process to ensure no difficulties during the transition into college life.

Most importantly, make the most of your college experience academically and socially. Get involved in campus activities, ask for support when needed, and work toward your academic and career goals.