River Walk: Students in science classes go on an adventure

Ken
AP Chemistry and Environmental students walking the river, looking for Macro-ionvertabrate

On Wednesday, September 6, the AP Environmental Science, AP Chemistry, and AP Biology classes participated in a River Explorer field trip. 

The Ohio River Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting and restoring the water quality and ecology of the Ohio River and its tributaries for the health and enjoyment of present and future organizations. River Explorer is a hands-on environmental education program that is innovative and inquiry-based. The outdoor learning lab provides experiential, environmental-focussed STEM education about the Ohio River and its watershed, in Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky. This program has thousands of students participating each year. 

River Explores is working to educate students about the diversity and intricacy of stream ecosystems, teach the value and worth of the watershed to those who live and inhabit it, and empower citizens to make a position impact on the watershed and the environment around them. 

Senior Bella Anglin said, “Even though it was wet and muddy, we all had so much fun learning about the river.” 

The river walk feathers 3 main stations, chemistry, fishing, and Aquatic Macroinvertebrate. 

At the chemistry station, students collected water from the river and tested it. They learned about how the location of the water affects its components. 

At the fishing station, they got in groups and used giant fishing nets to catch small fish. After the collection, they identified the fish and safely returned them to the river. 

Finally, at the Aquatic Macroionvertabrate station, they went into the river flipped over rocks, and searched for Macrionvertabrate, they identified and studied them as well. 

Senior Sophia Scherrer said, “We had an awesome time fishing and identifying Macroinvertebrates.”