Be Kind, Be a Green Dot: Green Dot Party

The poster for the green dot event

Green Dot is a nationwide organization designed to eliminate bullying and violence within schools. The organization aims to prepare students who witness these events. Preparation can include teaching students different ways to confront or report a concerning situation. 

Highlands incorporated Green Dot after a past student advocated for it. 

Green Dot works through a system of different actions and behaviors being reported as a red or green dot. A green dot would be an action that can possibly prevent further bullying situations such as reporting a student that’s picking on another student. An example of a red dot is actions tolerating or leading to violence. 

Teachers at Highlands were trained during the 2021-2022 school year. Many students also received a presentation introducing the program overview. From the teaching, student leaders were selected by fellow classmates. These leaders received more information about the Green Dot program following the voting. Highlands is hopeful to bring this training back for this school year and teach current freshmen about the system. 

“Green Dot is important because the goal is to help students feel safe and to help students feel like they can do something when they are in a situation that is uncomfortable,” said counselor Laura Schnitzler.

Green Dot hopes to create a welcoming environment and further welcome new students at the Green Dot event on September 1st. The event will host multiple games and even prizes for the winners.